Monday, April 25, 2011

Cherry Trees

The cherry trees are looking good. All the fruit trees are leafing out nicely. The new citrus trees have a lot of blooms and so I am expecting oranges and mandarins this winter. The Fuyu Persimmon is still in the 5-gallon can, but it looks like it may have a little crop this winter also. I hope planting it in the middle of summer won't set it back.
I measured out the space between the cherry trees and I think I will be able to transplant 10 Iris plants in July. The Iris plants will be in the middle between the other flower plants now growing there. I hope they won't be too crowded. The Fuyu will be planted in the center of where the Iris garden is now.
There is a small area between the public parking and my visitor parking that now has grass that has to be mowed. Joe mentioned that he could dig up the grass and make a flower bed there for the Iris plants.

I think that's a good idea. I have 6 rows of Irises with 6 to 8 plants per row, planted one foot apart. That's a little too close, especially if you give them a little Miracle Grow. ha,ha. I don't want to be digging them up and separating them every year. They get fertilized 3 times a year, the middle of September, at Halloween and Valentine's Day. Some of the plants got really big and made it difficult to walk between the rows to remove the spent flowers.
See the pictures of the Iris flowers at flickr. Click on the picture to enlarge it.

No comments: