Saturday, September 7, 2013

Winton Cemetery at Find A Grave

There are quite a few memorials set up at Find A Grave created by different contributors. At first I thought that Find A Grave was too cumbersome and hard to find the names you're looking for. I finally learned my way around the website a little better. When looking for a particular cemetery in Merced County, here is the link to use:

Or if looking for someone buried at the Winton Cemetery I like this link. I just type in the surname and see what all comes up.

Sometimes the memorials are connected to other family members whether buried in the same cemetery or not. On my mother's side the links go from Winton to Kansas and on my dad's from Winton to Willows, CA. It's interesting to see what is out there.

If you want to create a memorial or let a contributor know of a mistake or additional information, you must first sign up with Find A Grave. If wanting to create a memorial, you must check to be sure there is not already one there for that person. They don't like duplicates and they don't want memorials set up for people who are still alive. I've seen that just so they could connect them to the in-law family.

After you are signed up and have a contributor name and number, if you see a memorial for your direct line, i.e. parents, grandparents, great-grandparents or siblings, you can request a transfer to you from the one who is managing it. Assuming you are closer related to that person than the "manager" is.
They must transfer within 30 days if you are closer related than they are.
I put up a memorial for my husband 5 years ago and then did nothing else until just recently. I have been taking pictures of the tombstones at the Winton Cemetery and posted them to flickr under the name of Winton Historical Society. If you see a relative's tombstone picture there, you are welcome to use it. If you plan to use several at Find A Grave, please ask permission first. But if you are just using them for your own personal use, then you're welcome to use them.

Also, if I have created a memorial for a relative of yours and you want me to transfer it to you, don't hesitate to ask. You can leave a message at Find A Grave or here if you are just giving information and don't want to sign up.

No comments: