Saturday, March 29, 2008

Trip to Orland

My sister and I drove to Orland recently to visit my grandchildren on the dairy. Laura requested that I bring Pizza Villa pizza and Rollen Donuts from Merced. We only stayed one night.
We turned off I-5 at Willows to see the Drive-In where my sisters worked for a couple of weeks back in 1952. I think we found the right building on the old 99 Hwy and Road 162 going to Glenn. We then drove to Glenn; a long drive with not much to see until you get to the community of Glenn at Road 45. The grocery store with the gasoline pumps is no longer in business, but the building is still there. The little post office is still in operation. We were surprised to see so many mailboxes with the Giesbrecht name on Road 45. We stopped by the Mennonite Church and took a picture.
Also went down Road 48, where we used to live. Nothing is left that is recognizable. Our old house was torn down as soon as Uncle Abe purchased it in 1953. We moved back to Winton before Christmas in 1953.
My daughter and son-in-law like Orland a lot and don't intend to move back to Merced County. That was hard for me to believe at first, since my sisters and I were anxious to get back to Winton.
We had an interesting 2 days, watching the grandkids do the milking and other chores while the parents were away. Mandy and her boyfriend John were in charge of the milking. Tom and Laura pitched in to lighten the load. Mandy is the cheese maker and oversees that part of the dairy operation on a daily basis. Mandy has been on the Rachael Ray Show, which aired the day before Thanksgiving in 2007. Cojo did a makeover on Mandy for the show. See Mandy's blog here. To see more pictures from our Orland trip click here.
When I got back home and drove into the garage, I could see Maggie the cat, watching me from her cat door. She watched me leave and watched me come home. She doesn't like to be home alone. I love to visit the grandkids, wish they were closer so it would be an easy one day trip.

1 comment:

nick said...

i have a xmas card 1942 from jor caton


nwerle @ gmail.com