Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Monday Nights

The Monday night Bible Study group started a new series last night. We are studying the book of Hebrews. Last night was the introduction; asking the questions: when was it written, who wrote it and who was the intended audience?
I'm guessing there were 30-35 people in attendance. Everyone brought a Bible and there were several (maybe many) different versions. The people had different answers to the questions. The date it was written varied from 62 AD to 80 AD. In reading parts of the texts, we knew it was written before 70 AD, when the Jewish Temple was destroyed. The best estimate was 68 AD.
The most intriguing question was who wrote the book. One person said Paul; but Paul always indentified himself in his letters to the various churches. My NIV Study Bible said possibly Apollos or Barnabas. Another name came up. Priscilla.
I thought where did that name come from? Flipping back to Acts, and reading chapter 18, we see how knowledgeable Priscilla was. It was fasinating to read that in the beginning of the chapter, her husband Aquila is listed first, but by verse 18, Priscilla is written before her husband's. This was quite surprising to me. Our leader pointed out the significance of that.
But another surprise; the lady sitting next to me had a King James Bible. It never listed Priscilla's name before her husband's. The man to my right had a Living Bible. I don't know how it was written there.
The bottom line is --- I was in for a big surprise, I didn't expect the Book of Hebrews to be so interesting. Of course you have to have a knowledgeable leader to make it so.
Pastor Gregory Floyd is doing an excellent job of that.

No comments: