Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Photo Class

I'm taking an ROP class to learn how to use my digital camera. There are 20-plus students in the class and our cameras range from the very simple to the big monster SLRs. Mine is in between. Sure, it would be nice to have an SLR digital, with interchangeable lens, but how could I justify paying so much for a camera?
So, I am happy with mine.
This week, our homework was to bring in 4 color prints, 2 each of "before and after" pictures. The picture here is my "after". I like the dark shadow on the fence. It will be interesting to see what subjects the other students bring in.
Oh, another thing, one of the requirements is that we have a color printer, our pictures for class must be in color. I don't have a color printer and no desire to have one. (Am I just squeezing the nickel again?) I love my old laser printer that I bought when I retired 9 1/2 years ago. It was expensive at the time, but has proved to be very economical in the long run. If I want hardcopies of my pictures, I put the file on my Flash Drive and take it to Costco. Lucky for me, the instructor said that would be o.k. for class. I'm so happy I don't have to buy a color printer, there is no room for one, anyway.
August 18, 2008
I learned one thing today at Costco, (I think) usually when I had pictures to print, I asked them to 'turn off' correction, thinking that meant they would not "zoom & trim" well today, the man working the photo machine said "turn off correction only turns off color correction." He said they don't do a 'zoom & trim' but if your picture is cropped and it is not a perfect 4x6 image, part of it will be cut off.
So, I guess the bottom line is, when I crop a picture, I better be sure it is a perfect 4x6 image.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo! I really like it. I'm sure it will impress your instructor.