Friday, July 4, 2008

Disaster in the Back Yard!

Well, sort of a disaster. Some people came over to pick apricots and peaches. When they left,I decided to water the fruit trees, the apricot looked especially dry. I was letting the water run slow and easy, so a couple of hours later I went out to turn off the water, just in time to see the Suncrest peach tree slowly tumble over.There wasn't anything I could do but watch it. It's too bad that it was the next tree to ripen, so I know I will miss that tree. The only good thing about it is that it was near the middle of the yard and I don't want fruit trees planted there any more. Just along the fence. So, I don't know when I will replace the early peach tree. I still have Flavorcrest, the earliest one.
Maybe I should get an early genetic dwarf peach. I don't think they get over 6 feet tall. I'm going to try to save the peaches, they were close to being ripe, maybe in 2-3 weeks.
Well, this might be a blessing in disguise. Eventually I could have grass planted in the back yard and hire someone to mow it. Cut down on the number of fruit trees. Hey, I could live here forever and not worry about all the yardwork.

No comments: