Thursday, July 3, 2008

Winton Cemetery

This is a picture that I took recently of the office at the Winton Cemetery. The office faces Almond Avenue and is just past Cypress Avenue, going west on Almond from Winton Way. There is another entrance from Cypress, but the main gates are on Almond.
The employees in the office are very helpful and will give you a map and mark the spot where the person is buried that you are looking for.
I've taken many pictures of the tombstones and sent them to rootsweb. Recently the cemetery website at rootsweb was moved to genweb. Click here for the link to California Cemetery Registration. Click on the county of your choice. They are still in the process of moving the pictures of the tombstones to the new location.
I am toying with the idea of posting my relatives tombstone pictures somewhere else on the web, but am still undecided. I did post a few at flickr, but not sure if that is a good idea. Maybe by the time I make up my mind, they will have them up at genweb. LOL
July 24 --
Hereld is the coordinator for the Merced County, California CAGenWeb genealogy and history website, there are many pictures of tombstones, taken by others at the Winton Cemetery. If you don't find the photo you are looking for at the other website, you may find it here.
I am willing to take digital pictures of tombstones at the Winton Cemetery and send them to the requestor by email. They would also be submitted to the above website. email me at CalifNative37@aol.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i buried my daughter there june, 2008. i think it's a very beautiful place to be, and i also going to be buried there when i pass away. but thank you for keepig such a beautiful place opf finial resting. All my relatives are there, including my mother's side of the family.

mycoffinfamily said...

Lorraine, I would be happy to host your cemetery images on the Merced CAGenWeb web site. I could build an index with links to the images, or use your index, if there already is one. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks,

- Hereld Stuart -

Lorraine said...

Hereld,
Send me an email and let me know the details. I don't have an index. I only uploaded the pictures to someone who did the rest.
Lorraine
CalifNative37@aol.com