Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Day in Jamestown

My sisters and I had a lovely time in Jamestown today.
We had a special reason for going.
Our brother, John had a handgun, a Colt 45 and a special holster that meant a lot to him.
He purchased them in Hollywood in the early 1960s.
The holster was made especially for John.
He drove all the way to Hollywood to pick it up when it was finished;
my Dad and youngest sister went with him.
From that time on, this gun and holster was John's greatest treasure.
He took it with him to the mountains on vacation with his friends and just about everywhere else.
When John died last year, we weren't sure what to do with this special gun.
No one in the family was so fond of guns like he was.
My sister and brother-in-law had it appraised in Jamestown.
Found out the gun and holster together was worth $1,000.
So it was left there to sell on consignment.
It sold recently for $1,200. to someone from Ohio.
This person was in Jamestown to attend a "Western Shoot-Out."
After the show, this man went into the B-Bar-Y Traders store.
They have a wide assortment of guns, gun supplies and Old West clothing.
When he spotted John's special gun and holster, he had to have it.
So now John's gun is in Ohio and will be used in gun shows.
I think John would be pleased to know that his treasured gun is very special to the new owner.
We sisters had lunch in town and browsed the antique shops.
I found this silhouette at the "Time Travelers" antique store.
I always have an eye out for silhouettes, but really didn't expect to find any. Surprisingly, there were several to choose from.
I chose this one because it is so different from the others that I have.
It was a very enjoyable day.

No comments: