Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Moving Day

Moving Day finally arrived on July 12. It began early, the big truck arrived before 7:30. Mandy got up extra early and took the electronic things and Maggie in a cat cage over to the new place and was back in Merced just as the movers got there. Mandy packed up the last minute things; she rushed around and kept ahead of the movers. The truck was so big, my furniture and the million boxes only took up about 1/3 of the space. The 3 men were fast workers and we took off for Atwater before noon. (It was about 10:30, if I remember right.)
The truck arrived at Rancho Grande and here it had to be unloaded from the side door. Found out later that the neighbors were all watching from their windows.
I'm sure they wondered how I was going to fit everything inside the mobile home. A couple of days before the truck brought the big stuff, there were carloads going inside and one day it was 2 pickup loads and 3 carloads. Must have looked like a parade.
I laid awake at night, worrying about where all those boxes were going to go, so I told the movers that the boxes with 'Books' written on them, they could put those on the porch. Well, they put ALL the boxes on the porch. You can see how many there were in my "wall of boxes!" And most of them are still there!!
I have 6 large boxes of player piano rolls; about that many boxes with sheet music, not to mention pictures and special newspaper articles, obituaries, etc. etc.
I'll have to do something with it all before Sandy and Dol come for a visit.
Poor Maggie was so upset, she was locked in the bathroom with food and water. She cried and cried, I thought she was going to get hoarse. As soon as the movers left, I let her out. She spent nearly all her time on her cat tree. She looked so sad. I know she missed her old home with the cat doors and the big back yard with trees to climb.

No comments: