Sunday, February 27, 2011

On-Going Yard Work

Joe and his brother were here yesterday and the first thing they did was to dig out the orange tree in the front yard and plant the little semi-dwarf Satsuma Mandarin in its place. The oranges were not sweet and the Satsumas are, without a doubt, always sweet. I don't know if it will have fruit next year or not.
The pink flowers behind the tree are Camellias. The original owners of this MH planted Camellias all along the North side (front) of the mobile. They sure have a lot of buds and have been blooming nicely. I did give them some "Miracle Grow" earlier, not sure just when I did that. I need to read up on when to fertilize Camellias.

The next thing Joe and Keith did was dig out the orange tree in the back. I did give an orange from that tree another taste yesterday and it wasn't all that bad. But, not that good either! I'm sure I will be happy with the dwarf Washington Navel orange that is planted in its place. When I bought the citrus, the small Washington Navel tree had 3 oranges on it. They were sweet and GOOD. I was surprised that little tree had 3 oranges on it already, so I'm thinking the Satsuma will have fruit on it next year also.
I hope they both grow fast. I'll have to keep the one in the front pruned down because a semi-dwarf can get as high as 15 feet. So, I'll be out there with my pruning shears.
I was surprised that it didn't take Joe and Keith all that long to dig out the 2 orange trees and plant the new ones.
What did take a long time, and it was a LOT of work, was putting the plastic bender board around the cherry trees in the side yard. The bender board is 6 inches wide and Joe dug a trench around the whole area to put the plastic board in with only 2 inches showing above ground.
He made the area a little wider (at my request) because later I'm going to transplant a few Iris in the middle with some colorful flowers on both sides of the Iris since they have a short blooming season.
I'll be transplanting some of the Irises from their area because I have yet another fruit tree to plant!! I really wanted a Fuyu Persimmon tree like we had in Merced. The only spot I had left for another tree was smack dab in the middle of the Iris garden. I debated on what to do and the Fuyu won out.
So, SOMEDAY, I will have cherries in late May, Flavor Crest peaches in late June and July; Apricots and Sun Crest peaches in July; Fantasia nectarines in August and the Fuyu Persimmons in November. These are the persimmons that you eat like an apple, they are not the kind you bake with. (These small persimmons sold for one dollar each at the grocery store.)
So, now I just have to stand back and watch them grow!! ha, ha.

No comments: