Saturday, March 26, 2011

Tomato Plants

I planted a few tomato plants the other day in front of the duplicate Irises at the back of my mobile home. These tomato plants seem to be doing good, considering all the rain and wind we've been having. I planted 2 "Early Girl" and 4 "Celebrity."
The Iris plants in the back, against the mobile home are the ones that will be given away in July or August when they are dormant.
I also planted a "Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato" plant and put the wire cage over it. The plant has completely disappeared!! No sign of any green tomato plant at all. The ground has not been disturbed. It's really weird.
A few people suggested it was a gopher who pulled it in the ground. I guess the rain could have made it look like nothing was planted there in the first place!
About a month ago, I saw a gopher pushing up dirt over by the cherry trees. I had a "Solar Rodent Repeller" put in the ground and so far I haven't seen any sign of that gopher in the side yard next to the road. The repeller covers a large area, but it won't go through buildings, so it doesn't cover the backyard. The solar repellers vibrate the ground and the gophers don't like that and leave.
I got another repeller from my sister last Thursday. This one still needs to have the wires connected before I can put it in the ground. I hope they both work.
I sure don't want the gophers eating the roots of the fruit trees!!!
I also bought a couple of gopher traps, but I wasn't able to set them.

No comments: