Saturday, July 23, 2011

Iris Project

Thursday morning I started my project of digging up 40 clumps of Iris plants. I was glad I had name tags to put on each pile of plants. Easy to keep track of their names. Now is the process of cutting the leaves, separating the clumps of new plants and stapling name tags on them.
It's a bigger project than expected. It's so hot in the afternoons that I don't do it all day. I'm happy to have a list of people who want the extra plants. Not everyone wants Iris plants because their bloom season is not very long.

I was surprised to see how long the roots are. My neighbor says it's because Atwater has such good soil, but I think it was the Miracle Grow they got 3 times last year.
I hope to have the Iris plants all tagged and ready to give away Monday or Tuesday. The large box in the first picture is where my plants are. Some people wanted one of each, but I'm the only one who will get every one. A few clumps were not that big and so only a few new plants there. Only a few of the 40 clumps are visible in the picture. About 10 of them are duplicates, so I think there are about 30 different names.
I'm anxious to get the ground ready to replant the Iris and also plant the Fuyu Persimmon tree and take the Plumbago out of the flower pot and into the ground.
Like another neighbor told me, "no rest for the wicked."

No comments: