Saturday, February 9, 2013

Time To Prune

Here is one of my fruit trees that John Esau pruned for me last Saturday. This is Fantasia, a delicious yellow-fleshed Nectarine. If we don't have a hail storm like last year, I should get a decent crop this summer of all the fruits.
Still need to fertilize them, hopefully, Monday.
Still have the rose bushes to prune. Usually I do that in January, but I had a cold, so the roses had to wait.
I bought one more rose bush in Merced the other day. I can't believe I'm buying such old varities. "Montezuma" is at least 50 years old. My mother-in-law had that one in Le Grand. It was always a good one though. Guess I forgot to mention I bought a new rose in Turlock, "Drop Dead Red" the picture is very pretty.
So, that's all the room I have for roses. I never found the 4 varities of roses that I was looking for. Those were 4 of my favorites that I had in Merced. I should have taken cuttings of them the winter before "the move." I didn't plan that far ahead. Thought seriously about it in June and the house sold the next day.
Pruned two of the Butterfly Bushes today. It filled up the large green garbage can and most of the other can. I don't know how long I can keep the green can; the park only has a few of them and we have to share. Not many of us have a lot of pruning that we do ourselves. So we seem to get by with the few cans that we have.
Tomorrow afternoon is the Methodist women's annual Winter Tea. I had good intentions to bake the "Three Part Cookie" but decided that was too ambitious. Went to Save Mart and bought some Pepperidge Farm cookies. I hope someone besides me likes them. I hope I'm not the only one that brings something store-bought.
Our Thursday morning Bible Study group is going to read "The Way" by Adam Hamilton. We're almost through with our other book, "Growing Older and Wiser." I think "The Way" will be very interesting. It was written to read during Lent. I guess you don't have to read it then. But it's very appropriate to read before Easter. Following in the Footsteps of Jesus. Six chapters, 6 weeks to Easter.
Our little Thursday morning group is also a social group, so it may take us a little longer.
btw: All Adam Hamilton's books/materials are 40% off, plus free shipping until February 15 from Cokesbury. See the January 19 post for the link to Cokesbury. Don't forget to type in the Code AD13 to get the free shipping.

No comments: