Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas & New Year's

Christmas is almost over. Carol and I spent Christmas Day with Elsie and her family. We enjoyed it very much and were happy for the invitation.
We both agreed though that Christmas is not our favorite holiday. I'm not sure why.
Is it remembering the pressure to try to make a perfect day for our children? Our children are grown and on their own now, so that shouldn't be it. Are we thinking back to when we were in grammar school and dreaded being asked by our peers what we got for Christmas? It never was very much. Our friends probably just wanted to tell us what they got, but we didn't realize that. Whatever the reason, we are glad when Christmas is over. I was surprised that my granddaughter, Mandy feels the same way.
Maybe we get tired of the commercial hype to buy, buy, buy, which we don't succumb to, by the way.
Pictured is the cover of the 1942 Sears "wish book," one of the catalogs that we enjoyed so much in our youth.

I think my favorite holiday is New Year's. It's a time when you can think about changes you want to make in your life. Write it down on paper and dream how things are going to be in the new year. A time to reinvent yourself. It always reminds me of playing ball and jacks when I was a kid. Someone was always hollering "overs," which kind of irritated me. Just play what you rolled out!
It's always fun though to think about and decide what you want to include in your life and what you'd like to get rid of.
I'm going to start my lists now. They aren't 'resolutions' so no pressure there. Just some thoughtful insights. I'm hoping.

No comments: