Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday again

The gardener was here yesterday and used his weed-eater to get rid of the rest of the weeds. We measured out a 6x8 foot area for a raised flower bed in the middle of the backyard. He will get some price quotes for me for laying down some sod around the proposed raised bed. Good soil will be brought in and mixed with the heavier soil. It's really not as heavy as it was when we first moved here. We used lots of homemade compost besides the steer manure and bagged compost and it was worked in. But still it's not that easy to work with.
Today I bought two more tomato plants, so now I have enough; a cherry tomato, Early Girl, Better Boy, and Celebrity. Bought seed for pickling cucumbers and Dill. I would have planted them today, but it was windy again. I hope that's the last of the wind. I have 2 small Camillas to plant and a pretty pink Daylily I bought today.
The above picture is Stella; if the blooms are any indication, I should have a good cherry crop again this year.
Several of the Iris plants have buds on them and I can see the color. I took my lists and went around to make sure no one is missing! Even Gypsy Woman that I thought wasn't going to make it, is looking good now. Not sure if I will get a bloom this year or not, but I'm just happy it's still alive. I don't know where I would get a replacement. The Woodland Iris Garden near Modesto is no longer in business. Someone complained about the traffic by their house, so Stanislaus County shut them down. The location was not zoned for a Iris Garden for retail. That is really too bad, the road wasn't that busy. The owners dug up the remaining plants and destroyed them. What a waste!! Shame on Stanislaus County, one complaint and the business is shut down.
Easter is still a few weeks away, but my basket is already filled. Maggie just can't resist getting into all the boxes or baskets she sees.
I know, shame on me for spoiling her like that. When she hopped in the basket, I couldn't resist taking her picture.
O.k., so now it's back to typing up a few more recipes for the Winton Centennial Cookbook. Don't miss this chance to have your favorite recipes published in a cookbook that is sure to be a collectors' item as time goes on. You can email them to me at wintoncookbook@aol.com

No comments: