Friday, May 29, 2009

Cherry Harvest

The cherries are ripe a little earlier this year, thanks to that hot spell we had recently. Problem is they all get ripe at one time then. The crop isn't as large as it was last year and the birds are eating their fill. They are not afraid of me or that fake owl I bought to scare them off. Sunday I'm going to make one batch of cherry jam. I hope I won't cook it as long as last year, it was too thick. Also, I'm going to try a small batch of fruit leather again. I don't want to waste cherries on that if it doesn't turn out good. (Oh, so many projects.)

We have collected 190 recipes so far for the Winton Centennial Cookbook. Almost half-way there. I have an old recipe book from Winton, titled Winton's Recipe Roundup" compiled by Winton Women's Improvement Club, printed in 1954. Lots of familiar names in it, some relatives also. The cooks went to a lot more trouble back then. You can tell it's an old recipe when it calls for Oleo, or butter the size of an egg. Then instead of putting it in the freezer, you place it in the deep freeze. I haven't heard that expression for a long time.
The next Winton Hometown News newsletter (July/August) will be mailed out the end of June or first part of July. We will be reminding people that we are looking for their CURRENT recipes, not just the old ones from parents or grandparents.
We hope our readers will find our stories interesting and that they will want to send in their stories as well.

No comments: