Monday, March 12, 2012

Busy Monday

I love Mondays, or any day with nothing on the calendar. Since today was a free day, I decided to plant the "Early Girl" tomato plants that I bought at Save Mart a few days ago. It was a 6-pack with large nice looking plants, so I didn't want to let them hang around until they looked sad.
First I dug 4 really big holes and filled them with water like the man in the produce section at Save Mart told me to. Then filled the holes with good Miracle Grow garden soil. If the snails don't eat them I should have some nice big tomato plants this summer.
I gave 2 of the plants to my sister. I don't have room for six plants. Saved a little room for a pickling cucumber plant. I need to get a couple more of the tomato cages. Going to put one around the cucumber plant also. I don't have enough room to let them sprawl all over.
In the picture is the SunCrest peach tree in bloom. Wonder how many peaches I will have this year? I had two last year and one nectarine. I hope I get a few more this year. John Esau said I should get a few cherries already this year, so that will be exciting!! The cherries are not blooming yet and neither is the apricot.
I fertilized the fruit trees today finally. You have to hoe it in, so I was tired after fertilizing and watering 8 fruit trees.
I hoed some weeds today around the Iris plants. The ones out by the road had a lot of aphids, so I got this bright idea to get the lint roller and roll the leaves. Got quite a few off that way and then sprayed the plants with water. I'll have to check them again tomorrow.
Tomorrow is the Merced County Retirees luncheon at the Elks Lodge in Merced. We meet quarterly on the second Tuesday. If you're a Merced County retiree and don't usually go, put it on your calendar for June and try to attend. You need to make a reservation.
Now that gasoline is so expensive, I try to do other errands any time I drive to Merced. I need to go to the library and look up a few items in the old newspapers on microfilm. And then I have my shopping list. It's going to be a long day.
Wednesday Carolyn and I have appointments in Turlock for our monthly reflexology treatment. Carolyn can hardly wait the whole month, but I've been doing pretty good.
Of course tonight my muscles are sore from doing yard work but I feel good that I got something done. I did get on my exercise bike for a very short time tonight and I think that helped somewhat.
Good thing!! I have a LOT more weeds to dig out.

No comments: