Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Dirks Family

This picture of my mother's parents was taken in 1937 in front of the Sharon Mennonite Church on Winton Way, Winton. George and Susie (Unruh) Dirks moved to Winton from Greensburg, Kansas in 1923. In Kansas my grandfather was a wheat farmer. In Winton he raised Leghorn hens and sold eggs. Also had a vineyard and sold raisins. I don't think he had very many acres. They lived on Cypress between Gertrude and Almond Avenue.
George Dirks was born in Russia in 1869, he was 5 years old when the family came to America. The family settled in Kansas. My grandfather died in 1939 in the Bloss Hospital in Atwater.
Susie Unruh was born in Galva, Kansas in 1882 and died in a Merced hospital in 1962. My mother, Eva was their first-born in 1904 in Pawnee Rock, KS.
See more pictures at flickr.

2 comments:

Pat and Sharon said...

Hi Lorraine, I'm researching my wife's genealogy, Her G-Mother was Hilda Dirks b1904 Albert Kansas the daughter of Edd L and Clara Nagel, Hilda had a sister Lydia who married Edwin Grow,and a brother Oscar Dirks who married Helen Robertson. But no clue to Edd's Father and Mother ? Edd was b Germany in <1884>.
Patrick Smith

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I don't find any of those names in my family tree or in the Grandma file, compiled by the California Mennonite Historical Society. http://www.calmenno.org/index.htm