Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tuesdays in Turlock

Every Tuesday on East Avenue in Turlock, vendors set up their wares and people come from the surrounding area to shop. We were there today, looking for bargains. We all bought veggies; pictured is my sister buying some tomatoes at bargain prices, and they were delicious.
We bought a few other things; saw some collectibles, but nothing we couldn't live without. It was a fun morning, we all enjoyed looking around.
Years ago, I went to the annual Flea Markets as far away as San Juan Baptista or Oakhurst, in search of every piece of Sheet Music that I remembered from the 30s and 40s. Even went to the Cow Palace a couple of times in the Bay Area. It was very exciting back then, sometimes leaving home at 5 a.m. in order to find a parking place.
Seems like most people who were collecting sheet music wanted them for the covers, but I wanted the music, thinking someday I would be able to play them on the piano. Never could get my fingers to move quickly enough over the keys. My husband used to say, it would sound good if you could just keep it going. Yeah, Right!! That was the hard part. I enjoyed taking piano lessons though. Learned to play chords, but then the next step is to improvise. That's hard. Then wanted to go back to sight reading. Still can't play! My teacher had the patience of Job. Where is the Sheet Music now? In plastic bags stacked up on the "plant shelves" in the spare bedroom. I'm not ready to get rid of them. I still enjoy knowing that I have a huge collection of vintage sheets.

No comments: