Saturday, May 3, 2008

Maggie and the Blue Jay


Last summer Maggie thought it was great sport to chase the sparrows, sometimes climbing up her favorite peach tree in hot pursuit, but she never even got close. This year we have an aggressive Blue Jay hanging around. Whenever he sees Maggie outside, whether she's in the front or back yard, he is right there, harassing her. Sometimes she's afraid to go outside and wants me to go with her for protection. I'd like to get a picture of the two of them together, but the bird backs off when he sees me. He is just a bully, after all.

A postscript here ~ This morning I had a good laugh! Two Blue Jays were after Maggie. I guess she got sick and tired of it. She turned and chased one and it flew away. Maybe this is a turning point in this story about Maggie and Mr. Blue Jay.

Update: Maggie got her revenge. Somehow she caught a Blue Jay and while I was outside watering the front yard, she brought the injured bird in the house, through the patio door. She killed it under the dinning room table. Sure glad she didn't put it on the rug! Maggie is no longer my sweet, innocent cat.
But, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

No comments: