Friday, January 16, 2009

Birth Dates

How many birth dates do you have? I have two.
My mother told me I was born on the 16th and of course I believed her. So, the 16th is on my records, beginning in grammar school. When I was 15, I needed a work permit that would allow me to work in the peach harvest. In order to get a work permit, I had to get a copy of my birth certificate. That document said I was born on the 12th. My mother of course said, "ahh, that is wrong, you were born on the 16th." The certificate didn't have my mother's maiden name quite right, so I again believed my mother. Years went by, my driver's license, employment records all have the 16th.
It wasn't until 2002 when Rosalie and I were researching the old newspapers for the first history book of Winton, that I decided to check the Merced Sun-Star to see if there was a mention of when I was born. Sure enough, on the 13th of January, there was a little blip saying "a daughter was born" to my parents. SO, here was proof, if I was born on the 16th, how did the newspaper know about it on the 13th?
I wasn't sure what to do about it, I didn't want to cause any confusion. Little by little I'm trying to correct the mistake. When I go to the doctor's office I never know whether to say the 12th or the 16th. My daughters never know when to call to wish me a happy birthday.
Next year I will have to renew my drivers license, I think I will take my birth certificate in and try to have that corrected.
Social Security and Medicare have the correct date because you have to show them your birth certificate. Also, my tombstone has the correct birth date, but it doesn't know my date of death yet.

2 comments:

mandy said...

Ha! I was just telling a friend today that I figure if I call to wish you a happy birthday sometime between the 11th and the 17th that I'm ok. :) Thanks for the window!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, your Grandpa used to complain that I celebrated my birthday all week long!