Saturday, January 3, 2009

Dormant Pruning

January - cold - miserable - and time to prune rose bushes. Ugh!!
I have way too many rose bushes. This year I decided to have Joe, the gardener prune the roses as well as the fruit trees. He was here from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. He did a lot today, but still will come back next Saturday to prune the Crepe Myrtle trees in the front and clean out the gutters. He got most of the leaves raked up, but it's so wet and mucky out there, so couldn't get them all. If it dries out enough,I will suck them up with the yard vacuum that grinds them up and put them in the compost bin. Not much goes on the compost pile anymore since I quit using the shredder. I can't start it and it's a lot of work besides, so I'm probably better off to buy compost. I'd buy some steer manure if I could find some that wouldn't smell up my car. Maybe chicken manure would be a better choice.
I have several small Perennial plants that I'd like to get in the ground, also the cute little Ultra Dwarf Stella Cherry tree. It's been out-of-sight, out-of-mind. I sure don't want anything to happen to Stella.
Lots of annual grass has come up, but can't get rid of it yet, it's too muddy to hoe or pull out and I don't want Round-Up sprayed so close to the flower plants. Next year for sure I am going to buy a bag of Preen and toss it around to keep the weed seeds from sprouting. (And hope it doesn't prevent my California Poppies from coming up.)

No comments: