Tuesday, December 8, 2009

'Tis the Season

Today was the Merced County Retirees' quarterly luncheon. A lot of retirees phone in their reservations for December, maybe because it's the free luncheon, or maybe it's just the season.
Today there was an outstanding amount of people in attendance. One from the Auditor's office had just retired as of 12:01 a.m. today!!! Glad to see him and his wife there.
The luncheon is held at the Elks Lodge. Today for the first time they had to set up the food tables in another room, because the main room had wall-to-wall tables set up for us.
Today for the first time we had an abundance of big raffle prizes. The prizes were donated by various stores, associations and individual people.
The raffle tickets were $1.00 each. I bought two. (Big Spender)
There were so many prizes that they were drawing tickets all the time while people were in line to get their food.
No one was winning at our table. Each time there was a cash prize for $50. or $100. dollars, I thought, gee, would be nice to win that.
They were almost through with the prizes and a staff person was picking up dirty plates at our table when I heard my number called. At this point I wasn't sure what my prize was.
Well, it was a pass for 4 people to play golf (including golf carts) at the Stevinson Golf Course. Wow!!
I don't play golf, but was trying to think of the best use of this windfall. I recently heard that my nephew plays golf, so was thinking of giving it to him.
A man at our table is a golfer and he thought it might be worth $300., then thought maybe that was too much, but at least $200.
Just as we were leaving, a lady came to our table and asked if I wanted to sell my tickets. I asked how much would she pay. When she heard it was worth $200., she said, "Oh, that's too much!!"
I said I would sell them for $100. The man at our table reached for his wallet, took out a hundred dollar bill and gave it to me.
Whoa, we were both happy. He's going to take his friends golfing and I have a crisp one-hundred dollar bill.

So, I come home and check my email. There is a very nice story for the next Winton newsletter from a former Wintonite who now lives in Wisconsin.
Life is Good!!

No comments: