Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Johnny's Story

My sisters and I went through our brother, John's stuff today. We found this typed story that John sent in to Reader's Digest. It wasn't published, so here it is. I wanted to share his story with you.

Editor, Life In These United States

The following is my true story entry;

Taking time off my trucking job last August, I joined my old camping buddys for a reunion in remote Sierra Nevada country. Having a lifelong obsession for guns, I acquired an expensive outfit from the best silversmith and leathercraftsman in Hollywood, California.
An equally impressive Colt .45 is carried in this holster. Needless to say, I think of myself as a fourth generation "HICKOK" wearing this outfit.
We finally reached camp, tired and sore.
Two days later, our moods begin to change. We forgot some bait down at base camp, and fishing was lousy.
Our packer slipped on a log and disappeared - gun and all, under icewater. While my shivering friend practically stood over the fire, I cleaned his gun. We all had a few drinks and wondered what was next.
Someone suggested we film ourselves drawing against each other with empty guns. A movie camera was used, and things went fine until we shot ammo at a mountainside. With film rolling, the pressure was on to be fastest. However, lack of practice proved to be my undoing.
With gun leveled, and smoke around my leg, I felt a sting turn into a burning ache. Tearing the holster's opened end, the bullet grazed my leg, imbedding itself in the bottom of my foot.
Two men took the rough six hour ride out while I lay in camp, cursing my luck.
At dawn, the noise and wind bolted a jackass as the rescue 'copter settled on the meadow near camp. With the whole scene being filmed, as I was carried to the 'copter, an imbibing camerman slyly remarked: "Look at it this way, you're riding out of here in style, your vacation is extended and you've got an extra reason for your C.B. handle!"
My trucking handle hereafter will remain - "LEADFOOT".
John Giesbrecht - Winton, California
(An article of this accident was in The Modesto Bee August 7, 1980.)

No comments: