Saturday, October 18, 2008

Backyard Changes

Here is Joe the gardener, removing another peach tree from my back yard. This is the fourth one. One peach tree fell over on July 4th, just before they were to ripen. It was a good tasting peach, Sun Crest, but planted in the middle of the back yard, so I wasn't too upset.
The semi-dwarf Elberta peach was kind of weak, so that was removed. One of the O'Henry's lost a large branch a few years ago, and then the vine in the background got out of hand and choked out the other half, plus half of the Summerset peach.
So, the only peach trees left are Flavor Crest and the young O'Henry tree. It will be so much easier for me next summer, I won't have all those peaches to pick up off the ground and toss in the garbage.
I finally planted the new Irises I purchased this year. I hope they will be o.k., they got a little dried out.
In the Netherlands, I noticed my daughter's neighbors had a lot of Butterfly Bushes of different colors. They were so pretty, that I went on a Butterfly Bush kick. I now have 4 of them, scattered about, hoping the humming birds will find them. I want to give the little birds some natural food, not just the sugar-water.
I've been spending a lot of time in the backyard, moving plants around. Some women like to move furniture around; I like to move plants around. Still like to play in the dirt, I guess. I'm not through yet.

No comments: