Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Reunions 2008

A few days after returning home from visiting my daughter in the Netherlands and trying to shake jet-lag, there were two reunions to attend.
On Saturday, Sept. 27, there was a Dirks family reunion in Twain Harte. It was the first time that I had to do the driving, so I took my trusty Tom-Tom. Still, when we were almost at Cousin Dennis & Novie's house, I took a wrong turn and wound-up in someone's yard. Ina got out of the car and guided me back out of there so I wouldn't hit anything. What a tight squeeze!
We had a great time and voted to have another reunion next year, instead of in two years. Cousin Jackie put up a family tree with pictures and a memorial board of those who passed on since the last reunion in 2006. My family lost four members during that time.
Here is a picture of Aunt Luella and Cousins Jackie, Debbie and Nancy singing "How Great Thou Art."
The next day (the last Sunday in September) was the Winton Old Timers Reunion at the Winton Middle School. We had a good turn-out, I think it was around 230 in attendance. This year, people 90 years and older were honored, not just the oldest man and woman. There were 13 in attendance that were 90 or more. The oldest man was Harry Tighe at 100 years old. The oldest woman was Leona Eason at 97 years old. She beat Merle Willett by a few months.
Seated in the picture is Harry Tighe and Leona Eason; standing are the 90 and over. See more pictures at flickr.

No comments: