Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Living Alone . . . And Liking it?

Not Exactly. There are a few advantages to being on your own, like not having to justify purchases you make (only to yourself), or being in control of the TV remote instead of never deciding what to watch. But that doesn't make up for having to talk to yourself or the cat. I usually talk to my sister on the phone at least once a day; have lunch with friends now and then, so it's not that bad usually.
I keep busy with the yard and could be busier with the house. LOL. Today I bought some stepping stones for the back yard. Only got 15 this time because they are so heavy. Put 3 at a time in the wheelbarrow and put them in place in the backyard. One bad thing about being alone, you have to do your own grunt work or hire it done. So, I do what I can and take lots of breaks to think about what I want to do next. Usually I just want to sit and think with an iced drink in my hand. (grin) Tomorrow I better start planting those 100 Ranunculus corms that I bought this year. If only half of them bloom, it will be a beautiful spring.
Several widows have told me that what they hate the most about being alone is having to cook for themselves. That took me by surprise because I don't mind that at all. Probably because my husband did all the cooking before. Everyone always told me how lucky I was and usually I thought so too, but sometimes I secretly wished he didn't know a thing about cooking and was easy to please, then I would have learned to be a good cook. So, now I am cooking whatever I feel like and don't have to worry if anyone else likes it or not.I have a lot of projects I want to do before I pass on. I took a small step in that direction today by going through a lot of old slides and took 106 of them to Costco for them to scan and put on a CD. I planned to do that myself, but it takes so much time, and I didn't really learn how to do it, so for .29 cents per slide, I felt it was worth it. They scan them at 300 dpi and that's supposed to be good enough for a 12x18 inch picture if you want one that large. They will be ready in a couple of days and I can't wait to see them on the computer. So, there is always something exciting happening around here.
Pictured are a few red and pink Ranunculus from prior years. They all disappeared, so am anxious to have some blooming in my yard again.

No comments: