Wednesday, October 29, 2008

DARN!!!

Saturday morning, I turned on my computer and nothing happened. Absolutely NOTHING would come up. I took my computer in and paid to have it worked on right away because I still needed to get a newsletter out before the end of the month. Darn!
So, it was going to be worked on right away. Monday, I called to check on it and my hard drive was completely destroyed. They installed a new hard drive and tried to retrieve data from the old one. Wednesday afternoon I called again and we decided I might as well give up on saving anything from the old hard drive.
What a BUMMER!! I could kick myself for not taking my computer in the first time I saw the error message on a blue screen. I didn't realize it was that serious. My granddaughter told me the blue screen is the "kiss of death."
So, now I have a larger hard drive with nothing on it, just Windows XP. I found the CD for WordPerfect and installed that, but I'm not sure I found my latest version. I thought I had version 12, not 8. I might have to buy some more software.I would like to install the AOL software again, but I need an older version, the one I had was a 'Security' version and their antivirus fights with AVG antivirus and that's how a virus can get on your computer. So, I want an old version without the security features. AOL always wants to download new files also and I don't like that. I do like their filing cabinet, it's so much easier to read my mail through their software than their freeby emails. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I could just cancel my AOL account and save that $14.95 a month (Bring Your Own Access.)
I haven't looked at the external hard drive yet to see what pictures I am missing from the C Drive. I want to know and I don't want to know.
Anyway, I'm kind of bummed out right now.
Here's a picture of "Abby and Me" one of my new Iris plants. Can't wait to see them all bloom. I took this picture in early May at the Superstition Iris Garden in Cathey's Valley. This is one of the Tall Bearded varities you can see on their website.
Oh yeah, my back is much better.

No comments: