Thursday, October 16, 2008

Chiropractic

The first thing I did when I got back from the Netherlands was call Dr. Reed's office and set up an appointment. I was in so much pain in my lower back while visiting my daughter that I couldn't put it off any longer. I had been to Dr. Reed years ago when he was still with Dr. Keller in Atwater. I liked the way he adjusted my neck and back, without any machines and thought I would look him up when I needed an adjustment. Well, the years went by and I had a lot of excuses; "it will work itself out"; "it's just old age creeping up and you gotta live with it," etc.
BUT, in Amsterdam it was really something different, I've never had it affect me like that and I knew I had to do something about it. I've had several treatments since then and haven't felt this good in a long time. Dr. Reed has exercise machines in his office that patients can use (free). I am on two of them, one is for back and leg muscles. I started with 60 lbs, but quickly moved up to 90 lbs. In the picture is Dr. Reed's assistant, Genevieve demonstrating this machine. You push back with your feet and back to lift the weights. After I have been on this machine, I feel like I am walking a little taller. The other machine is for the neck. You sit on the stool with your hands on the bar, keep your shoulders straight and move the weight with just your head and neck. It's only on 7 lbs for me, but it really gives my neck muscles a work-out. After two sessions with the exercise machines, I had an appointment with Miguel for a reflexology treatment. One spot on my foot really hurt and he said, "it's your neck, neck muscle." I had to laugh out loud. I didn't tell Miguel I was doing exercises, but he knew my neck muscle was sore just by working on my feet. My neck is no longer sore, so I guess that spot shouldn't hurt next time.
I think by going to a chiropractor and reflexologist, I should be in pretty good shape. I'm hoping to stay strong enough to keep working in the yard.
Like Dr. Reed says, "chiropractic, massage, reflexology, they're all good."
He has other exercise machines in his office, but so far I am only on the two, plus 3 lb. free weights
There is a sketch of the huge machine on the back on Dr. Reed's business card. I've only seen men on it so far. One day I was leaving the same time as a man who had been on the machine. I asked him how he liked it. He said he "loved it" and had never felt better.
It looks like it stretches the back. I probably won't ever be on that one, but there are others.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Thanks for the kind words from across the Pond.