Saturday, November 29, 2008

Black Friday

Well, Black Friday has come and gone. I intended to go see what Gottschalks had on sale, but it was such a dreary day and I guess I was in a dreary mood, so didn't leave the house. Besides I couldn't think of anything I really needed.
It seems like every year the merchants expect to sell more than the year before. Good grief! What's wrong with cutting back? People buy way more than they need. In a way the slow-down on the economy is a good thing because it makes people realize they don't need a lot of the stuff they buy. People used to make do with what they had and that's not a bad thing.
I went to Mervyn's and Circuit City the other day, both stores are closing because of the economy. I feel bad for the people losing their jobs. But if the U.S. would manufacture more of the products they sell, there would be enough jobs for everyone. The items might cost a little more, but it would be worth it. Make quality merchandise like they used to. Things that would last and you wouldn't have to be replacing them, which usually costs more money in the long run.
Christmas will soon be here and the stores are full of cheap plastic toys that will be bought for the kids. They will get broken and thrown in the landfills before long. There is so much waste. It's a shame.
On a slightly different note, my daughter wrote about the current situation on her blog and how it affects her in the Netherlands. I agree with what she wrote and wanted to share it with you.

No comments: