Friday, November 28, 2008

Life's Oddities

There were a few odd things I noticed or learned in Europe, at least I think most Americans would consider them odd.
First off is the outdoor urinal, pictured on the left. Sure it's practical, but I don't think you'd see one in the U.S. There are four sides to it, but I've never seen it that busy. The men can relieve themselves in public without exposing themselves. It's quick and easy!! But, no place to wash their hands.
My daughter's house has three stories with the main bathroom on the 2nd floor with two bedrooms. There is a small bathroom? with just a toilet on the ground floor. The surprising thing is that there is no sink to wash your hands. Surprising because the Dutch are so CLEAN! Why wouldn't they want to wash their hands after using the toilet? The common practice then is to wash your hands at the kitchen sink or put antiseptic wipes or a similar item in the small bathroom.
An odd thing about dish washing; if this is done by hand, it is a common practice in Europe, (not just in Holland) to not rinse the soap off the dishes. Just wash them in the nice soapy water and let them drain. Of course if you have a dishwasher, they are made with the rinse cycle.
Most houses or apartments in Holland are rather small, so if you have a cat, where do you think the litter box is located? I put my cat's litter box in my bathroom.
Oh, that's a terrible thing to do. Bathrooms are supposed to be CLEAN!!
Where do the Dutch put their cat's litter box?
In the KITCHEN!!
O.k., it's true, I never smelled the litter box, but to say it's in the kitchen seems a bit odd.
UPDATE: I thought my daughter was going to make a comment here. Guess I better make the correction myself. If dishes are hand-washed they are not left to drain dry. They are dried with a towel. (That wipes off the soap.)
Only the older homes have a small bathroom downstairs with only a toilet and not a sink. My daughter's house was built in the 1930s. The newer or renovated houses have a sink in the little bathroom.

No comments: